Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Old lingo

Some learn Spanish, come Chinese, others German, and then there's the sophisticated cat who learns French.

I, on the other hand, and attempting to learn some Gaelic.

Scots Gaelic to be specific. The language of my ancestors.

Unfortunately, since this is a small and diminshing language (blame the English), there aren't any courses on this language anywhere near me. However, thanks to technology I can learn stuff online!

I've found some free episodes from the BBC on Gaelic, it's really basic stuff so far, but I have to start somewhere.

What's getting me is that the written language isn't phonetic at all, well, to my English-trained ears and ears they aren't. Dh is sorta like J... unless its at the end of a word, then it's silent.

I guess I'll try focusing on oral...

No comments:

Post a Comment